Flint Hills Resources (FHR) purchased the Wescott LPG production facility from Xcel Energy in late 2018 and thereafter began a project to upgrade various aspects of the plant, including the control system.
Excel Engineering was initially selected by FHR to review and update the facility P&IDs working with the FHR process team to align the plant with FHR controls/process standards and modify the system to meet the new requirements for the plant’s intended operation. Excel’s scope of supply was subsequently expanded to include instrument & I/O list development, electrical design and control panel design.
Excel Engineering contracted directly with FHR and worked directly with corporate process engineering and site operations personnel directly to fully align FHR standards with intended facility operational requirements. Services included
- Updated P&IDs
- Led the development of the Basic Process Control System (BPCS) functional specification
- PLC programming utilizing BPCS and Safety Instrumented System functional specification
- Control panel design drawings
- Development of FAT documentation and FAT execution for verification of BPCS and SIS systems meeting specified requirements
- Installation of control system software at the facility and software automation checkout
- Instrument checkout
- Ancillary services included the development of electrical facilities construction package including electrical elementary drawings and wiring diagrams
Excel Engineering delivered a modern control system with well-documented PLC code as well as up-to-date control panel drawings and P&IDs. The effective communication with FHR personnel coupled with accurate design and PLC-testing efforts drove an efficient commissioning effort that was short than anticipated.